Insurance

One of the burning questions that most people have when they seek help with their varicose veins is – Will insurance cover it?

Contrary to popular belief, varicose veins aren’t just cosmetic.

Some people are reluctant to see a doctor for their varicose veins because they believed that their varicose veins were a cosmetic problem.

Their fear was that their health insurance plan wouldn’t pay for treatment. They are unaware that varicose veins can interfere with their activities of daily living.

Even some primary care patients mistakenly believe that all abnormal veins are “cosmetic”.

This misbelief can have an adverse effect on your health and wellness.

The answer is that in most cases insurance companies will pay for some or all of your varicose vein treatments that are required if certain criteria are met.

The amount of coverage varies on the type of plan that you have and your insurance provider.

All insurance companies require that the veins are symptomatic.

Common symptoms of varicose veins include pain, ache, heaviness of the legs, cramping, burning, itching, bleeding, skin ulceration and swelling.

Most insurance companies also require that the treatment is medically necessary.

The symptoms must interfere with your daily activities.

If you have large, bulging veins on your legs, you may have a problem called venous insufficiency.

A Doppler ultrasound is required to determine if the degree of venous insufficiency meets their criteria for medical necessity.

Every insurance company differs in their definition of medical necessity. The specific criteria which each individual carrier follows is rather long and complicated.

Insurance companies will not pay for spider veins.

Spider veins look like you drew them on the surface of the skin with a pen. In Great Britain, these are called thread veins for obvious reasons.

During your initial consultation, we will review your insurance benefits with you. At this time, it is helpful if you know what your deductible is and if it has been met.

If possible, also find out what your co insurance is before your initial consultation.

www.pittsburghveindoc.com/2016/09/09/varicose-veins-treatment-cost

Your co insurance is the percentage of the final bill that your insurance does not pay. For instance, many people have an 80/20 plan.

That means that your insurance will cover 80% of the final bill and you are responsible for the remaining 20%.

We’ll take it from there.

We will make sure that your procedures are preapproved and that proper preauthorization has been obtained.

We will review your benefits with you.

You don’t need to know the billing codes or any further information at this point.

Unfortunately, insurance companies are cutting covered services in many medical and surgical fields including varicose vein care.

It’s a sad fact that restrictions and severe cuts in insurance policies are limiting your doctor’s options when treating your varicose veins.

Part of the reason for this is the exponential increase in the number of varicose vein treatments being performed and the unnecessary testing and procedures which are being done by doctor entrepreneurs.

In the rare instance that your coverage is declined by your insurance company, we will notify you before any procedures are performed.

Appeals processes are available for all insurance plans.

We will guide you so that you receive full benefits for your individual health insurance plan.

The best way to find out more about your insurance coverage is to come in for a consultation.

Our billing experts will discuss your individual plan and benefits with you so there are no unpleasant surprises later.

You can rest assured that our staff has the longest experience dealing with varicose vein billing in Pittsburgh and has the expertise to make dealing with your insurance company as smooth as possible.

We accept and participate in the following health insurance plans.

Aetna
Advantra
Anthem/BCBS
Cigna
Coventry
Devon
4Most
Health America

Health Assurance
Health Plan of Upper Ohio Valley
Highmark/BCBS
Humana
Medical Mutual
Mon-Valley Health Plan
Multi-Plan

Tricare
United Health Care
Western Pennsylvania Electric (WPEE)
UPMC
All Blue Cross/Blue Shield plans

Take the next step, contact the Happel Laser and Vein Center today.

Take the next step, contact the Happel Laser and Vein Center today.

8 + 3 =

11 + 12 =

Medical Accreditations

Dr. Happel is associated with several medical societies and accreditation groups.

Read More ›

Medical Accreditations

Dr. Happel is associated with several medical societies and accreditation groups.

Read More ›

IAC
AMA
SVB
ACR
Accreditation
RPVI