Vascular Surgery vs. Cardiology: Who is Trained to Treat Varicose Veins?

Vascular Surgery vs. Cardiology: Who is Trained to Treat Varicose Veins?

Vascular Surgery vs. Cardiology

If you have varicose veins, you need to educate yourself before you choose a doctor.

As a board certified vascular surgeon in Pittsburgh, I can tell you that there are many different physicians and specialties whom you can choose from when deciding where you can have your varicose veins treated.

The field of phlebology has exploded in the past ten years for many reasons. Doctors who trained in cardiology,emergency medicine, family practice, dermatology, plastic surgery and even colorectal surgery (proctology) and gynecology as well as other specialties which are not related to vein disease have switched to practicing vein surgery.

These doctors want to avoid the malpractice, grueling long hours, night calls and week end work which is required in those specialties.

Formal Vein Training vs. On-the-Job Training

Vascular surgery is the only specialty where the doctors are formally trained in treating all aspects of venous disease.

That includes laser surgery, removal of very large veins through needle holes (phlebectomy), sclerotherapy (the injection of medicine into large varicose veins) and radiofrequency treatment of veins.

Other specialties like cardiology ( which focuses on the treatment of the heart) also recently have included vascular disease as a side specialty. A cardiologist’s training is really not primarily directed toward treatment of the vascular system. They have only recently branched into treating vascular disorders as a progression of treating coronary artery disease and then extrapolating that training into the treatment of arteries and veins.

Please consider that when you choose a vein doctor.

What most people really want is a physician who is fully trained in all the aspects of treating your varicose vein problem.

Laser or radio frequency procedures alone are rarely sufficient to treat your varicose vein problems.

So vascular surgery vs. cardiology when treating varicose veins is a no brainer.

Ask or research which specialty is formally trained in treating veins.

Do you want a doctor  who switched into treating veins in hopes of a better lifestyle?

Or do you want someone who has actually trained and is truly board certified in treating veins like a vascular surgeon?

If you have any questions, please call our office at 724-969-0600.

We would be glad to discuss how we as a vascular surgeon’s office are different from doctors who are currently practicing vein procedures sadly for the wrong reasons.

About The Author

Dr. John Happel

Dr. John Happel has been in practice as a surgeon since 1986 in the Pittsburgh region. He specializes in vascular surgery and has subspecialized in the treatment of varicose and spider veins since 1999. Dr. Happel is board certified in vascular surgery and recertified in vascular surgery in 2012. He was chosen in 1985 to fulfill the position for the vascular surgical fellowship at the world renowned Mayo Clinic.